Yes, Dubai in 45-degree heat is pretty grim. But the quieter summer season is at least a good opportunity to set yourself some fitness goals. If, like us, you’re still carrying around that stubborn 3kg of baby weight (well, more like 8kg if we’re honest), then one of these new fitness offerings might give you the inspiration you need to get yourself in tip-top-toned shape for Autumn (although, you know, you’re already perfect just the way you are). Please note: it’s not advisable for women to exercise until at least 6-8 weeks postpartum, after which you should seek advice from your doctor. And when it comes to baby weight: it took you nine months to put it on, so don’t go thinking you should be losing it in any less time!
Read more: ‘Why new mums aren't meant to 'bounce back' into shape’
1. Get in a spin at Cadence Theory, a new dedicated indoor cycling studio located at DIFC in Dubai offering the popular Les Mills Virtual RMP programme, as well as a variety of other challenging classes led by top instructors including Nike Running ad star Manal Rostom. The hi-tech venue has a cinema-sized screen for projections and an awesome sound system to keep you motivated. The first ride is free and regular classes are priced at Dh120. Non-expiring value packages are also available.
2. If you’ve ever dreamt of having rippling abs (or at least a slightly more toned mummy tummy) Fit Inc has just launched new boxing and bootcamp classes that will work your body from bottom to top. The rather cathartic-sounding wePUNCH incorporates boxing and core-strengthening exercises to burn fat and tone muscles, while weBOOTCAMP is a 45 minute session of heart-elevating interval-training modules designed to help you achieve the greatest results in the shortest time. The boxing sessions take place every Monday and Wednesday from 7:30 – 8:30pm and weBOOTCAMP every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday from 7:30 – 8:30pm.
3. Grab your girl squad and head to Motion Ladies Fitness – a ladies’ only fitness centre on Al Wasl Road that offers a fab range of classes including Barre, Reformer Pilate and Swing Yoga, with personal training also available. Those who are expecting can join in Pre-natal Yoga, which can promote better sleep and circulation while giving you time to practise your breathing techniques. 04 328 2538
4. 9Round is an innovative new fitness concept that has over 160 locations and a cult following around the world, and has finally arrived in Dubai - on Sheikh Zayed Road to be exact. It’s a 30-minute, high-intensity workout routine, designed for people who are too busy for regular workout schedules (hello, mums). No set class times means you can drop in whenever is convenient and commence your 30 minute session, always supported by a 9Round trainer who will be on hand to assist you with technique as needed. With workout routines changing daily, 9Round offers a kickboxing themed, full body fitness program that incorporates functional, interval, cardiovascular, and circuit training regimens, consisting of a proprietary system of nine challenging workout stations developed by a World Champion Kickboxer.
5. Burning calories is fun at L’Atelier Aqua Fitness – an indoor aqua biking fitness centre on Al Wasl Road. L’Atelier is for women only and offers classes at all times of the day to suit all fitness levels. We like the sound of the Arabic class, which provides a full body workout to Arabic music. 04 338 8323.
Can’t exercise because you don’t have anyone to watch the kids? Bring little ones along to one of these ‘3 kid-friendly workouts’
See how one new Dubai mum got back into shape with a special 8-week challenge
Read more: ‘The truth about your mummy tummy’